Early Days up to 10

In the early part of World War II each house was given an Anderson Shelter. This consisted of corrugated sheets, some curved, to form the sides, some straight pieces to join to the sides , to form the top and pieces for the ends, one end had a door for the entrance.
Each family could erect these shelters on there own or join together to make one large shelter. These were used to shelter in when bombing raids took place. It was decided to join three together, No1, No3 and No5 Wilthorpe crescent.
The families were the Savages, the Rushforths and the Lipscombes. I cannot remember much about the building of these  but ours was a deep one with a ladder to get in and out. There were benches constructed on each side for seating and a pallet like structure on the floor.
The sides and top outside were covered in earth and then grass sods on the top. This was to act as camouflage to prevent German bombers from seeing them.
They were great places to play in for us kids when not used for there correct purpose. Many a time were me and friends scolded for being in our shelter or some one else’s.
Unfortunately the floor of our shelter under the lathes was clay and it did tend to hold water.
Tinkers pond was a place we used to go and play. It was much deeper then as it was fed by three streams, it was also a great place to catch frogs, there were hundreds in those days. My friend Roy and I used to come home with our pockets full of frogs, only one problem, where do we keep them. After much thought I suggested that our shelter would be fine as there was always water in it. So we solved the problem by placing them in there, when no one was looking. We fed them on worms and we thought everything was fine as the shelter was never used except by us. This was until the air raid sirens sounded the night Sheffield was being bombed and the Air raid Warden ordered everyone into the shelters. I think we went into the shelters about nine that night as wave after wave of bombers passed over us on their way to bomb Sheffield. Despite being in the shelters we could hear the explosions as the bombs fell on Sheffield.  All was well until about three in the morning when Mrs Rushforth let out an almighty  scream. Something cold and wet has just touched my leg she shouted.

(to be continued)